Pizhichil is a treatment which combines two therapies Snehana and Swedhana. Snehana meaning oil massage and Swedhana meaning to induce sweat. Pouring of luke warm medicated oil on the whole body in a specific manner is known as pizhichil. It is kind of Sarvangdhara (‘Sarva’ meaning the entire body and ‘dhara’ meaning a stream). It’s also known as Kayasekam and Tailasekam. It is a special treatment with exemplary benefits.
- Enhances blood circulation
- Completely rejuvenates the body
- Helpful for nervous disorders
- Prevents ageing symptoms & wrinkles
- Helps bring a lighter feeling to the body
- Clears all physical channels and ducts
- Retune the entire muscular system
- Calms the body down from stress and anxiety and relieves the tension it creates in the muscles
ADVISED IN FOLLOWING CONDITIONS
- Nuro muscular diseases
- Skin diseases
- Relieves the body stiffness
- Arthritis and rheumatic diseases
- Muscle spasm
- The meaning of the word Pizhichil is squeezing and the procedure involves squeezing of the warm and heated oil from a cloth.
- The procedure includes head massage followed by body massage with medicated oil, to avoid complication like giddiness thalam should be applied on head.
- Generally the time period of therapy is one hour, it may extended according to the condition of the patient.
- The quantity of the oil used in the therapy will be 3-4 litres.
MODE OF ACTION
- Pizhichil is a form of seka and its one form of swedana, and this Sweda karma rectifies the function of medodhathvagni and bhoothagni and fastens the pakakarma, which causes srothomukha shodhana and causes profuse sweda.
- Hence the exudates will comes out of body leads to pain relieve and relaxes the muscular spasm etc.
- By swedana due to arterial dilatation the effective portion will get more circulation.
Healthy persons also can undergo this therapeutic procedure annually, to prevent diseases and also reduce ageing. The above therapy is performed only after advice from the doctor.
Overall Pizhichil is a soothing & rejuvenating Ayurvedic therapy preserving & promoting optimum health.
Dr P.K. Mithun. B.A.M.S
Associate Centre Head -vizag