Migraine is a type of headache with varying intensity associated with nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.
Causes of migraine is largely unknown. Sometimes it is said to have a genetic connection. There are some triggering factors which may lead to migraine. Generally, it includes
- Some specific foods such as cheese, chocolates, caffeine drinks, red wine etc.
- Physiological stress.
- Staring to bright lights or flickering lights.
- Use of contraceptive pills and other medications.
- Paroxysmal headache, nausea and vomiting
- Starting with dull ache that develops into pulsing pain over forehead and head
- Generalized weakness in the body
- Dizziness, blurred vision and loss of appetite sometimes
- Aversions to food, light and sound
In Ayurveda Migraine is considered under broad spectrum of Shirashoola. Which is mainly caused due to vitiation of tridosha. Travancore Ayurveda deals with migraine with a deep-rooted treatments protocol. It includes shodhana therapies like Virechana or Vamana and Nasya. Other treatments include Talam, Lepanam, Shirodhara, Thalapodichil etc
Diet regulations and life style management is a very important factor in the treatments of Migraine.