Paralysis is the loss of muscle function in any part of the body. It can be localized or generalized, partial or complete and temporary or permanent. Hemiplegia is the term used for paralysis of one half of the body. It is the most common manifestation of a stroke.
- Cerebrovascular accidents (Stroke)
- Haemorrhages in the brain – Breakage of blood vessels in brain
- Cerebral thrombosis – Blood clots happening in the brain
- Cerebral embolism – Blockage of blood vessels in brain
- Acute or Hypertensive encephalopathy
- Cerebral tumours
Ayurveda terms Paralysis as Pakshaghata. Causes of Pakshagata are well explained in the classical textbooks and so are the treatments. In Travancore Ayurveda, our doctors take the detailed history of the patient with the support of relevant investigations.
Virechana plays an important role in the treatment of pakshagatha. Other treatments include Podikizhi, Njavarakizhi, Pizhichil, Sirovasti, Shirodhara, Nasyam etc. Exercises and Internal medications along with the treatments is also very essential for the management of paralysis.