Dandruff is a condition in that causes the skin on the scalp to flake. Dandruff is a mild form of seborrheic dermatitis.
- Oily skin and too much dry skin
- Sensitivity to hair care products
- Psoriasis, eczema
- Overgrowth of yeast like fungus called Malassezia can cause dandruff
- Skin flakes over the scalp, hair, eyebrows, beard or mustache and shoulders
- Itching over scalp
- Scaly crusty scalp in infants with cradle cap
- Signs and symptoms will be severe in cold and dry season
In Ayurveda dandruff is corelated to Darunaka. It is caused mainly because of vata, kapha vitiation and association with pitta. In Travancore Ayurveda we are treating drandruff in its root level. Detoxifications treatments like Virechana, Nasya are done. Treatments like Talapodichil, Shirodhara, Head massage etc. is very effective in dandruff. Along with the external therapies, Internal medications and diet regulations are highly advised.