Food and nutrition are the way that we get fuel, providing energy for our bodies. Essential nutrients include protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins, minerals, fiber and water. These macronutrients and micronutrients are obtained from various food sources which not only offer calories to fuel the body and give it energy but it also plays an important role in maintaining good health.
Role of essential nutrients in the body
- Protein – it helps in growth, development, repair and maintenance of the body tissues.
- Carbohydrates – the main role of carbohydrates rich food is to provide energy and fuel for the body to do daily activities and for the proper growth.
- Fat – Dietary fat which includes oils, ghee, milk, nuts, provides structure to cells and cushion membranes to help prevent damage.
- Vitamins – helps in wound healing, bone formation, immunity and maintain eye and skin health.
- Minerals – helps to maintain cardiovascular health and provide strength to the muscles.
Ayurveda also emphasis on the quality, quantity and prakriti of food. In general rule, it emphasis more on taking food which is hot and unctuous food taken in proper quantity and at proper time interval which stimulates digestive fire and digests quickly thereby promoting lifespan by maintaining the equilibrium between the tridoshas. So, maintain your health with a balanced diet as your food when taken adequately can replace your medicines but no medicine can replace your food.
Eat healthy, Live healthy…
Ayurvedic Rules for Diet
- Eat warm and fresh food.
- Eat food with relax and calm mind.
- Eat food when hungry.
- Do not overeat.
- Don’t suppress your hunger.
- Don’t eat refrigerated or preserved stale food.
- Eat as per season
Dr Srishti Mehrotra Khanna, B.A.M.S, PG Diploma (Ayu)
Center Head – Jubilee Hills