Urticaria or Sheetapita as we call in Ayurveda is a condition of skin rashes with red colour , having itching , some times pain too. In some cases, we observe burning sensation, swelling and also fever in some cases. This is an allergic reaction mostly due to specific foods.
Urticaria can be mild , moderate and severe depends on the symptoms.
This is the condition caused due to excess of sheeta over pita, in other words dominance of vata dosha in this disease. Vata aggravation happens due to excessive spicy or salty food, continuous awakening in night can be another reason and we also see some people gets affected due to excessive dieting as well. To sum up, we can say weak digestion is one of the key factors leading to allergies.
What are the possible causes for urticaria?
- Allergies to particular foods or types of cloths or un-usual climate
- Insect Bite
- Bacterial infection
- Sleeping more in day time
- More exposure to cold wind
- Consumption of large amount of sour food and fruits.
- Excessive intake of Salty and spicy food.
Some of the warning symptoms are
- Feeling of heaviness in whole body
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling more thirsty
- Redness of eyes
- Feeling of Weakness
- Un-easiness in the chest
How can we cure Urticaria with the help of Ayurveda?
As we know , Ayurveda believes always in Nidanaparivarjana ie avoidance of Causative factors.
Vamana, virechana , rakthamokshan are few very effective procedures to cure urticaria. These are administered depending on the affected doshas. We also suggest certain internal medicines such as haridrakandam, guduchyadi kahsayam, tikthakam gritham , amlakhi rasayanam, triphala choornam are very useful in curing Urticaria.
There are certain home remedies to reduce the impact of Urticaria?
- Ginger juice along with 1 teaspoon of jaggery in the morning.
- Cold water bath can soothe itching and ease pain.
- Turmeric powder with jaggery twice a day for about 15 days.
- Applying Aloe vera lotion: It’s a source of vitamin E, which can reduce the itching your hives can bring.
- Relax and take a break when you’re stressed or overworked.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight clothing.
Can we prevent occurrence of Urticaria?
We should know what are the foods than can cause allergy. There are tests available to find out the foods which suits us and what needs to be avoided.
- We should avoid detergents and soaps containing scents or dyes.
- Avoid extreme changes in temperature.
- Yoga helps prevents occurrence of Urticaria.
Take Away- Each of us should try to learn what are the food, or other factors makes us allergic. If we know we can avoid this situation , these days there are various tests available to identify our allergies . Our learning about self can avoid an urticaria situation.
Hope you have understood about Urticaria and the remedies available in Ayurveda. We advise you to consult a Doctor in case you come across the symptoms of urticaria.
Dr Smita KattiGotur B.A.M.S
Head Of Practice and Governance