Sore throat causes irritation, pain & throat infection. It can make swallowing difficult and painful. It usually heals by itself but in case it takes longer than the usual time, then you can use medicines. Apparently, allopathic medicines give you permanent and faster treatment but ayurvedic medicines for throat care can provide you with the best and most permanent treatment without any side effects. In this article, we will read about the sore throat, its symptoms, and ayurvedic treatment for throat care.
Causes for sore throat
- Infections: Viral infections like measles, chickenpox, and the common cold can cause infection in the throat.
- Dry air: Dry air removes moisture from the nasal and oral cavity making it feel scratchy. Usually, this occurs during winter or seasonal changes.
- Smoking: Smoking doesn’t only cause problems to the liver, but also it plays a crucial role in causing irritation in the throat. Smoking, pollution, or tobacco smoke also cause irritation.
- Straining vocal cords: Due to talking loudly, yelling, or singing for a long time can strain vocal cords and muscles in the throat. Cuts or injuries in the throat can also cause sore throat.
- Allergies: Allergies can also cause sore throat. Some food allergies can also cause infections.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD): Acid back up from the stomach into the esophagus causes heartburn and throat infection and irritation.
- Tumor, or cyst in the throat or tongue can also cause sore throat. This infection persisting for a long time can be a sign of cancer.
Importance of dosha involvement in Sore throat:
2 types of doshas are mainly involved in sore throat.
- Pita dosha: Due to pita dosha, some signs and symptoms can be seen like redness, burning sensation, tenderness, and pain.
- Kapha dosha: Kapha dosha includes itching, swelling, whitish patches over tonsils, and hoarseness of voice.
Ayurveda treatment for sore throat:
- Gargling (Kavala and gandusha)
- Paste applications (pratisarana)
- Steam inhalations
- Chewing medicines
Gargling: Gargling with medicinal oil or liquid can help in reducing redness, swelling, foul smell, itching, and relieves dryness.
Steam inhalation: It soothes the airways, reduces infections, and reduces the phlegm in the throat.
Paste applications (pratisarana): Herbs are made into a paste and applied locally to relieve pain, swelling, and inflammation. Herbs such as powder of amla and turmeric are applied with honey, a paste of neem leaves with honey, a paste of ginger and ghee, salt mixed with honey, and Laksha powder.
For chewing medicines:
- Triphala powder, Bakula bark.
- Tablets – khadiradi vati, lavangadi vati, trijathakadi vati.
- Small pieces of licorice root, dalchini, clove, dry ginger, and pepper.
Here are some additional Ayurvedic treatments for throat care in Hyderabad that you can t
- Let off steam: According to Travancore Ayurveda experts, steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be used once a day to treat throat issues.
- Honey and clove powder: According to the government recommendations, Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar or honey can be taken 2-3 times per day in cases of cough or throat discomfort.
- Gargles with salt water: A glass of water should be boiled for 5 minutes with 1 tbsp of turmeric and 1/2 tbsp of salt added. Use it to gargle when the temperature is appropriate. Gargling three to four times a day can help soothe sore throats. Gargling powder for throat care is also available in the market.
- Yastimadhu (licorice): Yashtimadhu works wonders at treating throat infections. You can take 1 tsp of licorice powder and swallow it with honey twice a day or mix it with warm water and gargle with it twice a day.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek, a traditional remedy for sore throats, contains natural substances that aid in throat cleansing. 250 ml of water and 1 tsp of fenugreek should be simmered for 5 minutes before drinking.
- Leaves of tulsi: Tulsi is one of the best antiviral herbs and works wonders for sore throats, colds, and coughs. Drink the solution after boiling four to five tulsi leaves in water. If you’d like, you can add honey and ginger.
Travancore Ayurveda is one of the top ayurvedic clinics who don’t only give treatment for sore throat but also provide treatments like detox ayurvedic treatment and for chronic ailments in Hyderabad, Telangana, Vishakhapatnam, Vijayawada, ANDRA PRADESH, Jayanagar, CV Raman Nagar, Bangalore, KARNATAKA. Our team of experts ensures to provide the best quality service and permanent treatment which can make you rid of unnecessary pains. For more information visit our website https://www.travancoreayurveda.com/