There are many references in the Ayurvedic textbooks/classics/Samhitas about janapadodwamsa or epidemics and the management/prevention of such epidemics or janapadodwamsa can also be evidenced. Vyadhikshamatva that is immune mechanism of the body is involved in prevention of the occurrence of a new disease and it also decreases the virulence and progression of an existing disease and Rasayana plays an important role for it. The concept of building strength of mind and body to cope with various stressors, including infection, is a highlight of Ayurveda practice.
The word Rasayana and its importance
- Herbs that support the functioning of the immune system including the production of immune cells, detection of antigens, and the elimination of infectious agents.
- The way for achieving excellent Rasaadi seven Dhatus.
- It is used for promotion of strength in the healthy, for Prevention as well as Curative purpose.
- It proved to be highly efficacious for the Prevention and Control of infections when vaccines and standard therapies are lacking.
- It improves immunity and performs many vital functions of human body.
The holistic approach of Ayurveda towards promoting health (Swasthavritta) includes personalized interventions based on host and environmental factors.
The interventions include therapeutic cleansing procedures (known as Panchakarma) and certain immunomodulators (known as Rasayana).
In pandemic the Respiratory system mainly get affected which is evident from its symptoms like cold, cough and breathlessness. Here the drugs help in enhancing immune system and strengthening functions of Respiratory system can be useful. For this purpose, the Rasayana like Chyavanprasha, Agastya Haritaki, Pippali Rasayana, Guduchi, Yashtimadhu, Haridra, Ashwagandha, Tulasi, etc are used.
Dr Ritesh Lahoti, M.D
Centre Head- Gachibowli