Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOD)
This is Hormonal Disorder that effect women in their reproductive age
PCOS – Means Many small fluids filled sacs grows inside the Ovaries
The group of symptoms that affect the Ovaries and Ovulation 3 main features are
- Cysts in the Ovary
- High level of male hormone
- Irregular Periods and Facial hair growth
Over-weight and Obesity are more common among adolescent girls and adult women with PCOS
Cause: Association with excessive Insulin
- Low grade Inflammation
In Ayurveda Classifies, PCOD as a Kapha disorder. Kapha having first affected the digestive fire, Cold and sticky nature of vitiated kapha effect pitta Dosha, which stands for digestive fire thus effected metabolism, Jaathraagni starts to effect the metabolic aspect of the seven tissue called dhatuagni. Each dhatuagni is responsible for the nourishment and formation of particular tissue that is resides.
Ayurveda preventing PCOD in a natural way by balancing the dosha, apart from panchakarma Ayurveda suggests various herbs along with dietary and lifestyle changes to cure the disease.
- Use a low-fat milk
- High fiber diet that includes whole grains, legumes and sprouts
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Restrict intake of Red meat, Egg, Deep fried foods, Sugary desserts, bread, pastas
Line of Treatments:
- PCOS in Ayurveda are done through proper panchakarma treatment like Virechana, Uttarabasti, Sirodhara, Vaman
- Weight loss and its management for PCOD (along with diet and lifestyle modification), women with excessive weights
Some of other useful medication includes Arogyavardhini Vati, Ashokarishtam, Pushyanga Choornam, Chandraprabha Vati, Dasamoola preparations, Kanchanara Guggulu
Asana such as Badrasana, Shavasana, Surya Namaskhara, Dhanurasan, Badhakonasana – plays key role in regular healthy menstrual cycle.
Dr. Roshma Robin B.A.M.S (Ayu)
Center Head – Travancore Ayurveda Nallagandla