It is a rare disorder that causes immune systems to attack peripheral nervous system. It is a rapidly evolving areflexic motor paralysis with or without sensory disturbances. The usual pattern is an ascending paralysis that may be first noticed as rubbery legs.
The exact cause of GBS is unknown. It is often preceded by an infection such as a respiratory infection or the stomach flu.
- Guillain-Barre-Strohl syndrome
- Landry’s paralysis
- Infections (2/3 people) – Episodes of gastroenteritis or a respiratory tract infection
- Approximately 30% cases are provoked by Campylobacter jejuni bacteria
- 10% cases can be attributed to Cytomegalovirus (CMV, HHV-5)
- Dengue fever
- Previous Hepatitis-E virus infection
Types of GB Syndrome:
- Acute inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy (AIDP) – Muscle weakness starts in the lower part of the body and spreads upwards.
- Miller Fisher Syndrome (MFS) – Paralysis starts with the eyes, associated with unsteady gait.
- Acute motor axonal neuropathy (AMAN) and Acute Motor-Sensory Axonal Neuropathy (AMSAN).
COMPLICATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH GBS
If it is not treated with time then it may result in severe problems such as problem in breathing, heart problems like arrhythmia, fluctuation in blood pressure, problem in bowel and bladder, blood clots, relapse and death may due to heart problems.
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis – In GBS protein levels are elevated in CSF with low numbers of white blood cells (albumin-cytological dissociation). This distinguishes it from a number of other conditions such as lymphoma and poliomyelitis where both the protein and cell count are elevated
- Nerve conduction studies
- Electrolyte test
- MRI of spinal cord – To distinguish between GBS and other conditions causing limb weakness such as spinal cord compression.
- As per Ayurvedic classics, this condition can be correlated with sarvangagata vatavyadhi.
- It can also be considered as Medogata Vata as Myelin sheath is destroyed in this condition.
- It can also be considered as Mamsagata vata as it causes weakness of muscles.
- Avarana is another concept which can also be considered here based on symptoms.
- As we understand this disease as apatarpana in nature, brihmana line of treatment can be adopted here. In these conditions treatments and medicines should be Vatashamana or Vatanulomana. Medicines such as Balya and Brimhana along with Rasayana’s should be given to increase the cellular immunity and aid their recovery.
- As this is also an autoimmune disorder Vata pittaghna line of treatment plays an important role.
- Shodhana chikitsa also plays an important role in treatment of GBS.
HOME REMEDIES FOR GUILLAIN BARRE SYNDROME
- Some of the remedies which can be helpful to boost immunity
- Diet rich in minerals, vitamins A, C, E & B complex and rich in fatty acids such as Omega 3s and Omega 6s.
- Eat lot of fibre rich food, beans, legumes, fish, plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Include mushrooms, beet, avocado, soya beans and bell pepper in diet which boost immunity.
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach boost immunity
- Citrus fruits such as oranges, grapes and grapefruits are high in antioxidants which are essential to preserve strength of the body and to boost immunity
- Include cinnamon which has been proven for its worth in auto-immune diseases. It is antiviral, anti-bacterial and anti-tumour agent.
- Turmeric – It has potential anti-inflammatory agents like curcumin. Immune boosting properties of turmeric alleviate fatigue and neural problems associated with GBS. It also makes immune system healthy.