What is PCOS?
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS):
This is a Hormonal- Female endocrine Disorder that affects women in their reproductive age. 5 to 12 % of the female population gets affected by this disorder. In Ayurveda, This chapter has been covered under the name “Yoni Vyapad .”
PCOS occurs when a hormonal imbalance affects follicular growth during the ovarian cycle. Instead of bursting and releasing an egg, the affected ovarian follicle remains in the ovary. The follicle then forms into cysts, and during each ovarian cycle, multiple new cysts can arise. ‘Poly’ means many, hence the name: polycystic ovarian syndrome. This means Many small fluids filled sacs grow inside the ovaries
Symptoms of PCOS:
The group of symptoms that affect the ovaries and ovulation 3 main features are
- Cysts in the Ovary
- High level of male hormone
- Irregular Periods and Facial hair growth
Over-weight and obesity are more common among adolescent girls and adult women with PCOS
Causes of PCOD:
Association with excessive Insulin
- Low-grade Inflammation
Ayurveda Classifies, PCOD as a Kapha disorder. Kapha having first affected the digestive fire, the Cold and sticky nature of vitiated Kapha effect Pitta Dosha, which stands for digestive fire thus effected metabolism, Jatharaagni starts to affect the metabolic aspect of the seven-tissue called dhatwagni. Each dhatwagni is responsible for the nourishment and formation of the particular tissue that resides.
Prevention of PCOD:
Ayurveda prevents PCOD in a natural way by balancing the dosha, apart from panchakarma Ayurveda suggests various herbs along with dietary and lifestyle changes to cure the disease.
- Use a low-fat milk
- High fiber diet that includes whole grains, legumes and sprouts
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Restrict intake of Red meat, Egg, Deep-fried foods, Sugary desserts, bread, pastas
Line of Treatments for PCOS:
- PCOS in Ayurveda are treated through proper panchakarma treatment( Ayurvedic Detox ) like Virechana, Uttarabasti, and Panchakarma treat the root cause by eradicating toxins from the reproductive system: The uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes and the vagina are cleansed, and hormones are balanced. Some of the main procedures include virechana (therapeutic purgation), Uttar vasti (uterovaginal enema) and vasti (colonic enema).
- Other Therapies like Sirodhara, Udwarthanam etc help to give the proper effect of Panchakarma and maintain the body in post panchakarma stage.
- Weight loss and its management for PCOD (along with diet and lifestyle modification) for women with excessive weights
Some the other useful medication includes Arogyavardhini Vati, Ashokarishtam, Pushyanga Choornam, Chandraprabha Vati, Dasamoola preparations, Kanchanara Guggulu
The above medicines can be used only with the proper prescription and advice after consultation with an Ayurvedic Doctor
Asana such as Badrasana, Shavasana, Surya Namaskhara, Dhanurasan, Badhakonasana – plays key role in regular healthy menstrual cycle.
Ayurvedic treatments and advice are always personalized. We recommend you make an appointment with one of our experienced ayurvedic doctors in either of our clinics.
Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS/PCOD in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Vijayawada and Vizag:
To explore the best services, you can choose Travancore Ayurveda, the best Ayurveda Hospital for PCOS. In Hyderabad, our clinics are located in Madinaguda, Gachibowli, Sainikpuri, Jubilee Hills, and Nallagandla. Our Ayurvedic hospital is located in Gachibowli. In other states, Travancore Ayurveda has clinics in Vizag, Vijayawada, and Bangalore.
Call us or walk directly for all kinds of PCOD treatments. Travancore doctors have the best solution for all patients with PCOS/PCOD.
Dr Smita KattiGotur B.A.M.S
Head Of Practice & Governance