- Disorders of Endocrine gland are as old as mankind. And the prevalence is increasing day by day leading to many complications.
- Endocrinal disorders are may be subdivided into three groups.
- Endocrine gland hypo secretion (leading to hormone deficiency).
- Endocrine gland hyper secretion (leading to hormone excess).
- Tumours (benign or malignant) of endocrine glands.
- Endocrine disorders are often quite complex, involving a mixed picture of hypo secretion and hyper secretion because of the feedback mechanisms involved in the endocrine system.
- Amongst them Hypothyroidism is very common. So it is a need of hour to understand and plan the treatment accordingly in Ayurveda.
Signs and symptoms
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.
- Treatment for hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid surgery
- Radiation therapy
- Iodine deficiency
- Agni plays an important role in metabolism in the body especially Dhatwagni.
- Any derangement in this Dhatwagni will lead to the similar effects on the body as that of the Thyroid hormones.
- Medo Dhatwagnimandhya will lead to impaired metabolism of the poshaka Asthayi Dhatu – impairment in the formation of prakrita medo Dhatu( Poshya Sthayi dhatu) – Malaroopi medodhatu vriddhi.
- Hypothyroidism –impaired fat metabolism – increased level of circulating fats in serum – Abnormal deposition of fat.
- In Hypothyroidism – initially shodhana chikitsa on the lines of sthoulya followed by shamanoushadhis of galaganda can be adopted.
- Lifestyle and food habits should be corrected, try to avoid heavy foods and liquids.
- Reason for agnimandya (like impaired digestion) and ajirna should be avoided.
- Rasadhatu pachan should be done.
- Lekhana chikitsa for meda(FAT) should be done.
- Panchakarma like vaman ,virechan ,basti, Nasya, Udwartanam, Shirodhara are helpful.
- Herbs such as Guggul, Kanchanara, Punarnnava have proven very useful in the treatment of hypothyroidism.
Dr Ritesh Lahoti,M.D -Kayachikitsa
Centre Head -Gachibowli