Sciatica pain is caused by an irritation, inflammation, pinching or compression of a nerve in the lower back. The most common cause is a herniated or slipped disc that causes pressure on the nerve root.
It usually affects only one side of the lower body. Often, the pain extends from the lower back all the way through the back of your thigh and down through your leg
- Herniation of disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Moderate to severe pain in lower back, buttock and down your leg.
- Numbness or weakness in your lower back, buttock, leg or feet.
- Pain that worsens with movement; loss of movement.
- “Pins and needles” feeling in your legs, toes or feet.
- Loss of bowel and bladder control (due to cauda equina).
Travancore Ayurveda provides various Panchakarma treatments such as Abhyangana, Elakizhi, Podhikizhi, Kati basti, Pizhichil, Kasaya dhara, Basti treatment etc. Along with treatments, internal medicines, yoga and exercises are also suggested. It is advised to consult Vaidya/Doctor before starting the treatment.